Water fountains are important in enhancing the flare and charm of your outdoor spaces. They create a peaceful and serene ambiance that allows one to enjoy nature without going anywhere else. Moreover, an aesthetically pleasing water fountain captures the limelight of your backyard or lawn while creating an alluring bird bath. However, water fountains are considered to be energy-intensive. As they mostly operate 24 hours, the concern of high utility bills due to additional electricity consumption arises. Recently, the introduction of solar powered fountain for bird bath has solved this problem. Therefore, solar power fountains are are becoming popular. These fountains capture the sunlight and convert it into electricity for powering the water pump. The water pump thus allows constant recirculation of water, which keeps the fountain effect going.
Solar powered water pumps used in fountains are categorized into two types. One type directly uses the captured sunlight to drive the water pumps while in the second type the stored solar energy is used for powering the pump. Nonetheless, both these variants are highly energy efficient. In addition to saving electricity, solar powered fountains are pocket friendly, and environmentally sustainable. They provide an excellent option for elevating the aesthetic vibe of your landscapes by adding an environment-friendly elegance. Choosing a solar powered fountain for a bird bath totally depends on your preferences and budget. There is a great deal of variety available in the market but eventually, everything resumes to selecting the option that best suits your requirements. Here is the detailed guide for finding out the best solar powered fountain.
Points to consider when buying a solar powered fountain for bird bath
We have shortlisted some important aspects which you should never overlook when selecting a solar powered fountain. Please have a look below:
The capacity of the solar powered fountain pumps is presented in terms of gallons per hour. It is the unit for the volume of water that is ejected by the pump in an hour. Increased capacity of the pump indicates higher power of the water stream. If you want a bird bath for a small garden, a fountain pump with a capacity of 45 to 60 gallons per hour is perfect. However, for fountains installed in the ponds or parks, a more powerful water pump is suitable i.e between 120 to 150 gallons per hour.
It is also important to determine the intended use and operation time of the water fountain. If you want your bird bath to operate during the night time also, then you should go for the fountain pumps which are equipped with standby batteries. As solar energy is only produced during the day time so the batteries are required for storing the additional power for night-time operation or on cloudy days. However, this feature will increase the cost of the product as water pumps with batteries are more expensive and require high maintenance.
3. Solar panel location
In some solar powered fountain pumps, the solar panels are immersed in water while capturing sunlight. Thus, in such cases, the location of the solar panel is not an important consideration. The solar pumps are usually consciously placed while keeping the aesthetic value of the fountain in mind. In some pumps, the solar panels are detachable so if you want to hide it, then check if the wire length is long enough to allow you to place it a little away from the fountain.
Best solar powered fountains for bird bath – Top 5 picks
There is a wide range of products available in the market and thus making the right choice becomes a little different. In this article, we have compiled for you the best product options available at a reasonable price. We hope that after going through the list below, you will be able to choose the perfect solar powered fountain for a bird bath.
1. Ankway Solar Bird Bath Fountain Pump
It is an ideal product for small-scale landscaping as iI is very convenient to use and required minimum maintenance. The solar fountain pump floats over the water and that’s why it is perfect for bird baths and small ponds. It allows energy conservation by automatically pumping water during the availability of sunlight. Moreover, this solar power fountain pump is not equipped with external batteries and functions completely independent of grid electricity. It has a compact, easy-to-move design which allows its convenient re-location for additional applications. Due to all these reasons, this bird bath fountain pump is the first on our list.
- Easy to use in outdoor bird baths, aquariums, and household landscaping
- Features 8 different spraying styles
- Allows convenient mobility and re-location
- No wires and plugs
- Comes with various fountain heads to form diverse water patterns
- Practical design
- Versatile. applications
- Easy to install
- As it is not equipped with a battery so it cannot function during the night time or on cloudy days
2. OKMEE Solar Fountain Pump
The OKMEE Solar Powered Water Pump features a compact design with multiple functionalities. It has wide-scale applications ranging from bird baths to fish tanks to oxygen circulation. Moreover, it is equipped with a unique 4 in 1 nozzle which supports different water patterns. OKMEE floating pump also provides modern water shortage protection and filtration box. It is composed of PET laminated solar panel which is weatherproof.
- Up to 50-70cm water jet height
- Supports 3 spraying modes and a bubbler mode when the nozzle is detached
- Powered by 2.2W solar panel
- Comes with water-shortage protection and filtration box features
- PET laminated solar panel can tolerate harsh weather conditions
- Filtration box protects against dirt, dust, leaves
- 4 in 1 nozzle allows different water spraying patterns
- The enclosed nozzle shoots the water too high and out of the bird bath
- No battery for storing electricity
3. Solatec Solar Powered Bird Bath Fountain Pump
Solatec also provides a great solar powered fountain pump for bird baths and fish tanks. It is also ideal for use in small ponds as it’s easy to install and move as per your changing applications. The pump directly captures the sunlight and automatically starts pumping water by using the 1.4W solar panel. It does not come with battery storage and functions independent of grid power. Solatec solar fountain pump is a floating pump so it is easy to move it as needed.
- Weighs only 230g
- Supports 4 types of nozzle heads
- Water jet height of about 30-50 cm
- Powered by 1.4 W solar panel
- Easy to use and minimum maintenance
- Versatile functions
- Compact and light in weight
- The water flow sometimes becomes a little inconsistent when exposed to sunlight directly
4. Lewisia Solar Bird Bath Fountain Pump
Lewisia Fountain Pumps are powered by detachable solar panels. This allows the user to place the bird bath anywhere according to their choice as the water flow will remain steady. The water pump and the solar panel are attached by a 10-feet long wire. In short, Lewisia provides an energy-efficient and environment-friendly substitute for electric fountain pumps which is easy to use in bird baths and pools.
- Features different nozzle heads for customized water patterns
- Equipped with a filter bag thus ensures maximum prevention against clogging
- Powered by a detachable solar panel
- Detachable solar panel with a 10-feet long cable allows easy placement
- Requires no installation as it starts working, the moment it’s exposed to sunlight
- The solar panel is not waterproof
5. Qualife Solar Water Fountain Pump
Qualife Solar Water Fountain has a unique flower-shaped design that attracts birds and butterflies. It is an ideal eco-friendly product that can add to the beauty of your outdoor areas. The pump is powered with a fixed solar panel and thus provides energy efficient water jet feature. The higher the solar intensity, the higher is the water output. In addition to this, the pump comes with 4 types of nozzle heads for customized water flow.
- Patent calendula shaped design
- Compact size
- Versatile applications
- Automatic re-operation with 3 secs when sunlight is back
- Features 4 different types of nozzle heads
- Unique design
- Automatic re-operation with 3 secs when sunlight
- Multiple water spraying patterns
- Does not have any built-in battery for power storage, thus works only under direct sunlight
To sum up, we can say that the solar powered fountains for bird bath provide an excellent, eco-friendly, and energy-efficient alternative to conventional electric fountain pumps. If you want to enhance the serenity and elegance of your outdoor landscapes, you can install any of the above listed solar fountains. In addition to being environmentally sustainable, these solar powered fountains are also affordable in the long run as you do not need to worry about the utility bills. However, making the right choice is vital in order to get maximum benefits. So, carefully take into account your requirements, intended use, and the above-mentioned aspects while selecting the best solar powered fountain. Good luck! Just be aware birds may poop on your solar panels nearby and cause issues!